FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What is Child's Play?
- Child's Play is a registered charity based in Seattle, WA, dedicated to improving the lives of children in hospitals and domestic violence shelters through the power of play. Child's Play supports a network of over 100 hospitals worldwide. You will frequently hear us use the phrase "for the children" when talking about Desert Bus; because Desert Bus supports Child's Play, which helps sick kids around the world.
- How does donating money work?
- All money donated through Desert Bus goes directly to Child's Play. We do not receive or handle any of the money or your payment information. We use a custom-built donation tracking system to log your donations, so we know when you've donated for auctions, if you've entered a donation drive, and how much money we've made.
- How can I get involved with Desert Bus?
- Watch! Join the chat, submit to contests, donate, create challenges, and be a part of the Desert Bus community. But if that's not enough:
- Spread the word! Help us promote Desert Bus for Hope and reach new people. We get most of our new viewers through personal recommendations.
- Send us feedback. We love to hear from you guys. Tell us what you loved, and what you thought could have gone better. If you have stories to share of how Desert Bus has affected you or someone you know, it means a lot to us to hear those stories.
- Can I get a tax receipt for my donation?
- To receive a tax receipt, please email [email protected]. Child's Play's tax ID number is EIN: 20-3584556. If you have questions about tax receipts, please ask your tax adviser.
- How can I help?
- There are lots of ways to help Desert Bus, but the best way to to spread awareness. You can help us by promoting Desert Bus on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, blogs and in person. Posters, logos and banners can be found here.
- Can I volunteer?
- If we are in need of more volunteers, we'll post on our website and social media accounts. If you would like to express your interest in volunteering for an upcoming event, please email [email protected].
- I/my company would like to become a corporate sponsor for Desert Bus. How to proceed?
- There are several ways to sponsor us, including donating items for our auctions and giveaways, and donating items or services for Desert Bus' administrative and operating needs. Please contact [email protected] for more information.
- How did Desert Bus start? Where did it come from? What is the origin story?
- Well now, that would be telling. Which we'll totally do, if you just hop on over to our About Desert Bus page. There you can find a general explanation of Desert Bus and its strange beginnings and history.
- When does the next Desert Bus begin?
- Dates for Desert Bus vary from year to year, but generally the event begins around the 2nd weekend in November. Exact dates and times are usually announced in late summer/early fall of each year.
- How long does Desert Bus go?
- The duration of Desert Bus depends on how much money is donated. The first hour costs just $1.00 and each subsequent hour costs 7% more than the last. That means that the second hour costs $1.07, the third costs $1.15, and so on and so forth. At a certain point each additional hour costs more than we can raise and we are forced to stop. Desert Bus generally ends somewhere in it's 6th day.
- How much money did Desert Bus [insert year here] raise?
- Desert Bus 1 (2007): $22,805.00
Desert Bus 2 (2008): $70,423.79
Desert Bus 3 (2009): $140,449.68
Desert Bus 4 (2010): $208,250.00
Desert Bus 5 (2011): $383,125.10
Desert Bus 6 (2012): $443,630.00
Desert Bus 7 (2013): $523,520.00
Desert Bus 8 (2014): $643,242.58
Desert Bus 9 (2015): $683,720.00
- You can also check out stats and donation amounts on this wonderful series of graphs originally put together by Liam Gladdy.
- Who are you guys?
- Learn about our team on the team page
back to top
- What are Donor Accounts?
- Donor accounts help us keep track of challenges you issue us and any donations you might make. They allow you to bid on live and silent auctions, track your bidding history, and allow us to notify you if you win an auction. All you need to set one up is a valid email address, no other personal information is required. You can register for your Donor Account here.
- Why do I need a Donor Account?
- Donor accounts enable us to get in touch with you and see when you've made donations for auction items and keep track of your challenges. This makes it easier for us to ship your goods in a timely manner and get to your challenges faster.
- How do I log into my Donor Account?
- You login with your email address and a password of your choice. If you've forgotten your password you can reset it by going here.
- Can I view the stream on my mobile phone?
- Yes, you can use the official twitch.tv app on for Android or iOS
- Can I watch the feed on twitch.tv?
- Yes, at http://www.twitch.tv/desertbus/
back to top
- How can I join the Craft-Along?
- You can read about the basic process for participating in the craft-along on our Join the Craft-Along page.
- When do submissions open for the next Craft-Along?
- Craft-along submissions officially open in the spring preceeding the next Desert Bus for Hope. Usually sometime in April or May. Follow Desert Bus for Hope on Twitter and Facebook to get the latest updates and announcements.
- I don't understand something about the Craft-Along / Your Craft-Along page doesn't answer my question: who do I contact?
- Please email [email protected] and someone will respond to your query as soon as possible. Please note that just before, during, and just after the current Desert Bus for Hope marathon are our busiest times, so be prepared for a significant delay in response during those times.
- I have a friend who's a really good artist/crafter. Can I get them to submit stuff for the craft-along?
- Absolutely! Just pass along our contact information once submissions open, and tell them they should get in touch!
- I really want to submit to the Craft-Along, but I'm not sure my work is good enough.
- Look at your craft. Would you want to own it? Would you pay money for it? If yes, then chances are someone else would too. If it's something you feel is your best work and you can be proud of, then chances are it can be in the craft-along. We really do accept work from crafters of all different levels and abilities. Get in touch with your craft idea and some photos of previous works, and let us help evaluate whether or not it is craft-along material.
back to top